Activity Blog

April 20th, 2011

I attended the poster session for student research projects in the Great Hall the other day. There were many especially interesting Environmental studies that were being presented.

An interesting theme in the session centered around the use of Atrazine herbicides. Atrazine is used to help increase crop-yield. However, due to some questionable effects of this chemical it has been outlawed in Europe. It is still used in the U.S. and has contaminated drinking water.  Atrazine is associated with potential health hazards such as birth defects and menstrual issues. One poster centered around the effect of atrazine on the thyroid of Zebra fish.

Another poster looked at the effect of sea level rise on the shoreline in Staffard county. The rising tides have caused significant erosion. Over 146 acres have been eroded since the first recording. There does not appear to be any end in sight due to an ever increasing sea level. The presenters felt that residents in the community needed to act to protect the land from future erosion before it was lost forever.

There was also an interesting poster on acid mine drainage. The drainage seeps into local water areas and forms sulfuric acid. The acid becomes more concentrated in the summer as the bodies of water shrink and turns the water to an unnatural orange color. I thought this concept of increased toxicity concentrations in summer was interesting. I am interested to learn more about how seasons effect the way pollution interacts with our environment.

-Marley

3 Responses to “Activity Blog”

1. Dr. Szulczewski said:

I’m so glad you were able to attend this symposium, and thanks for checking out my research.

2. desi said:

It’s always interesting to me that one country can outlaw a certain pesticide/chemical/food/whatever, and yet others will continue to use it, like you stated with Atrazine. You would think that with banning such a thing in one country that all the others would begin madly looking into the problem, and whether or not it’s as harmful as the first country thinks, or at least help to halt production, but that’s not how things work, and it’s putting everyone at risk.

3. marleyh11 said:

It was a great poster session! I really enjoyed learning about the research.

And yes, isn’t it odd? There are many things that are banned in Europe and not the US. I wonder if overall the US has less of an interest in public safety? It seems to be all about profit. Very unfortunate.