Foodie Conscious

March 17th, 2011

All the talk of sustainable agriculture and organic practices reminds me of a class I took for my Freshman seminar years ago. The class was called Sustainability & The Environment. A requirement for the class was to read Michael Pollen’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma (the inspiration for Food Inc.). This book essentially changed my entire outlook on food and began shaping my personal food choices. I cut out chicken, pork and beef from my diet as a stance against factory farming. Over time I began buying organic when I could and became well-versed in label reading. I stopped buying highly processed foods, anything with artificial sweeteners (and avoiding High Fructose Corn Syrup when possible), and looking for where my food was being made and distributed from so i could try to buy more locally. I discovered that I have a passion for nutrition, especially eco-friendly nutrition. I think its important for people to care about what they eat, where it comes from and how it affects their body. It is equally as important to care about the environment and recognize how our food choices affect the world.

Being a vegetarian or vegan is not always easy (or healthy) if you aren’t properly informed about your personal dietary needs. Swearing off meat does not mean you can just eat bread  or pasta for every meal. It has taken me years of tuning my diet to find a good balance for my own body. To be honest, I was not very good at this in the beginning, dealing with campus meal-plan restrictions and lacking knowledge about vegetarian nutrition. Living off campus, with a full kitchen at my disposal, and no Sodexo meal plan has certainly helped me out for the past 2 years. I am still learning every day.

Big Salad from Edible Perspective

One thing I struggled with the most was knowing how to prepare meals, how to use raw ingredients, and what kinds of things can be thrown together quickly but be highly nutritious (and tasty!). I discovered an incredible resource in the online blogging world. Foodie bloggers are prevalent on the net and have formed their own little subculture of cooking creations. I follow several bloggers (most of which are college students like myself) who are focused on eating healthy vegetarian lifestyles (some are even Vegan).

Spelt Berry Porridge with Granola Dates & Raspberries (click for source)

(most of the healthy foodies like to start their day with a type of porridge – like Oatmeal, Oat Bran ect. A ritual that I have also adopted! Keeps you full for hours.)

They take photos of almost every meal, share their recipe ideas and circulate a huge wealth of knowledge on food. These blogs are an endless source of inspiration for my own food choices. I have learned a lot from reading these blogs, especially when it comes to supplementing my diet with protein and vitamins. The focus is always on eating fresh, eating healthy, and often sticking to a budget. I think this blog world is a fantastic resource for anyone who is thinking about becoming a vegetarian or just wants some inspiration for healthy (meat-free) cooking!

Veggie pizza with a buckwheat crust, click for source

Some of my favorite foodie bloggers!

The Broccoli Hut

The Happy Herbivore (great recipes section)

Lilveggiepatch

Edible Perspective

Namastegurl

Oh She Glows

Vegetarians looove nut butter for protein - here is homemade Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Almond Butter by Edible Perspective - click for source

-Marley

5 Responses to “Foodie Conscious”

1. mcarpent said:

I really enjoyed your blog. I completely agree with what you said about how people should care about their food. Also the links to cooking blogs were very interesting. they had a lot of new ideas for flavor combos that i cant wait to try out…they all looked extremely healthy too!

2. Tori Wong said:

Marley! This post made me happy…and hungry.

here’s another cool blog that one of my friends started: http://an-appetite-for-life.blogspot.com/

3. marleyh11 said:

I’m glad I could share some foodie goodness! Hopefully it will inspire some tasty recipes.

Thanks for the link Tori! I will definitely be adding your friend’s blog to my bookmarks!

4. Julie said:

these pictures stopped me dead in my scrolling-tracks. can we make this recipies sometime? All of them!?

5. Dr. Szulczewski said:

I have to say these photos and the links brought me back to this post today!